School of Choice
The School of Choice policy provides the opportunity for parents who reside within the school district’s attendance boundaries to request enrollment for their student in any school within the district on a space-available basis. These requests include RBUSD families interested in applying for the Washington Dual Language Immersion program.
Each school serves the students who live within its attendance area prior to accepting any students from outside its attendance area boundary.
Though the district supports parental choice, once enrollment reaches capacity at a school and/or grade level, waiting lists will be created through a lottery process. Should an opening then become available at a later date, parents will be notified. Once the school year begins in the fall, students on waiting lists will not be transferred out of their home school in order to attend another school.
SCHOOL OF CHOICE PROCESS
If a parent desires permanent status at a school in the Redondo Beach Unified School District which is different than the assigned neighborhood school, OR a student is currently attending a school on an Intra-District Permit (Redondo Beach resident), the following steps must be taken:
- Please note that the School of Choice window begins March 2, 2020 and closes on March 31, 2020 for the 2020-2021 school year.
- After completing registration, one must meet with the school Principal to obtain a School of Choice request form. The signature of the home school Principal is required on this form.
- Fill out the School of Choice request form. One completed form is required for EACH student.
- Return the School of Choice request form to the Educational Services Department at the District Office located at 1401 Inglewood Ave, Redondo Beach, CA by March 31, 2020. This form must be personally delivered to the District Office. We will not accept mailed or faxed copies.
- Requests are NOT kept according to the date they are received and are NOT reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Names are drawn from a school-level and grade-level lottery in May (if needed). You will be notified of the lottery date via mail.
- The number of students selected in the lottery will be determined by the amount of space available at each school/grade level.
- After available spaces are filled, a waiting list will be created by drawing the remaining lottery names.
- If space becomes available at the school in that grade level, students will be offered an opportunity to enroll. However, once the school year begins, students will not be transferred from their home schools.
- Once a student is accepted at the school of choice location during open enrollment, that school will become the student’s permanent home school (unless a move out of the RBUSD attendance boundaries occurs).
Should you have any questions about the School of Choice process, please feel free to contact the Educational Services Office at (310) 937-1223.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR SCHOOL OF CHOICE/DUAL LANGUAGE IMMERSION REQUESTS
For the 2020-21 School Year
- March 2, 2020 - Begin accepting Inter-District Permit and School of Choice Requests
- March 31, 2020 - Deadline for School of Choice Requests
- May 1, 2020 - Public lottery for Washington Spanish Dual Language Immersion Program
- May 8, 2020 - Public lottery for School of Choice