The School of Choice policy provides the opportunity for parents who reside within the school district’s attendance boundaries to enroll their student in any school within the district on a space available basis.
Each school is required to serve the students who live within its attendance area prior to accepting any students from outside its attendance boundary.
Though the district supports parental choice and is committed to Intra-District School of Choice, once enrollment reaches school capacity, that school or grade level will have waiting lists created through a lottery process. If an opening becomes available at the requested grade level, parents will be notified. Once school begins in the fall, students on waiting lists will not be moved to attend another school.
The following conditions also restrict the opportunities for Intra-District Open Enrollment:
- Parents must provide transportation.
- Space must be available at the requested school and at the requested grade level.
School of Choice Process
If you desire permanent status at a school in the Redondo Beach Unified School District which is different than your local/neighborhood school, OR you are attending your present school on an Intra-District Permit (Redondo Beach resident), the following steps need to be taken.
- Please note that the School of Choice window begins March 1, 2017.
- Meet with your home school Principal to get the School of Choice Request form. The signature of your home school Principal is required on this form.
- Fill out the School of Choice Request form. You will need to complete one form for EACH student.
- Return the School of Choice Request form to the Educational Services Department at the District Office by March 31, 2017. This form must be personally delivered to the District Office. We will not accept mailed or faxed copies.
- Requests are kept not according to the date they are received.
- Names are drawn from a school-level and grade-level lottery May 19, 2017 (if needed).
- The number of students selected in the LOTTERY will be determined by the amount of space available at each school/grade.
- After available spaces are filled, a waiting list is created by drawing the remaining LOTTERY names. However, once the school year begins, we will not be moving students from their home schools.
- If space comes available at the school in that grade level, students will be offered an opportunity to enroll.
- Once you are accepted at your school of choice during open enrollment, that school will become your permanent home school unless you move.
Should you have any questions about the School of Choice process, please feel free to contact either your home school and/or the Educational Services Office at (310) 937-1223.